Times of Israel Reports: The headquarters of the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO) in the Sinai was attacked on Friday night by dozens of Bedouin Salafi gunmen, Israel’s Channel 2 News reported.
Dozens of gunmen, in some 50 vehicles, surrounded the base and then 60-70 of them burst in, storming into the base amid heavy gunfire. Exchanges of fire were continuing into the night, the report said.
First reports of the attack surfaced a little after 8 p.m. local time. Half-an-hour later, Channel 2 reported that Egyptian troops had arrived at the base, to try to help to restore order.
The TV report cited conflicting accounts of casualties. One source indicated that three people had been killed. Another said there were no fatalities, but that three Colombian members of the force had been injured.
The attackers were described as Bedouin jihadists, possibly affiliated with Al-Qaeda. First reports said Al-Qaeda flags were seen flying at the base after the attack.
US forces dominate the MFO’s 1,650-strong personnel. The MFO’s mission is to oversee the arrangements for securing the Sinai as agreed by Israel and Egypt in their 1979 peace accords.